What if you could lose 3 lbs in 3 weeks? That’d be pretty cool, right? What if you could lose 6 lbs in 3 weeks? Even better! I just finished Beachbody’s 21 Day Fix and I lost 7.2 lbs in 3 weeks by working out every day, following the meal plan and drinking my Shakeology shakes every day!! I know, awesome, right!?!? That’s what happens when you combine a solid nutrition plan and a solid, yet easy to follow workout routine together.
Autumn Calabrese, celebrity fitness trainer and national-level bikini competitor is the creator of the 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme Beachbody programs. For the past year, I was almost exclusively lifting weights, going from a weight of 152 lbs up to 172.4 lbs. Some of that was muscle, some of that was fat, and I was in a spot where my clothes were getting a little tight and I needed to lose some weight, so I opted for the 21 Day Fix, knowing that it would get me the results I wanted, and boy was I right!
I started at the beginning of this year, after the holidays, with a starting weight of 170.2 lbs. At the end of last weekend, I weighed in at 163 even, a 7.2 lb loss! I was super excited! Not only did I lose some weight, I dropped about an inch off my waist, my clothes fit a little better, and I realized I was horribly inflexible! Like, beyond horribly inflexible. I need more Yoga, haha!
So by now, you may be wondering what the 21 Day Fix is. It’s very simple – as the name implies, it’s a 3 week fitness and nutrition program designed to help the average person lose around 10 lbs in 3 weeks. It’s 21 straight days of working out with a solid, easy to understand, portion-controlled meal plan. It comes with a number of Tupperware-like containers that you use to measure out your daily food allowances and thus helps you stay on track with your goals. The workouts and the meal plan, together with Shakeology for 21 straight days makes it dead simple!
All of the 21 Day Fix workouts are easy to follow, understand and modify. Each workout is right around 30 minutes each. There is a modifier in every single video (Kat) who does a variation of the routine that will help you work towards the full, unmodified routine. I also love how there is an ab workout at the end of every video. There’s some serious core work going on in this program! Here’s a brief rundown of the different workouts:
- Upper Fix – Resistance training that helps shape your chest, back, shoulders, arms, and abs.
- Lower Fix – Like Upper Fix, but this is for your lower body.
- Total Body Cardio Fix – This is a weight-based cardio routine. I’m not a fan of cardio at all, haha, but this was pretty good, especially with the weights.
- Cardio Fix – This is a non-weight-based cardio routine. Just straight up cardio here. It’s hard, but it’s worth it.
- Pilates Fix – A nice routine to strengthen your core, elongate your muscles, and firm your hips and thighs. I’d never done anything Pilates related before this, so this was pretty cool.
- Yoga Fix – Improve your balance, flexibility, and strength as you help relax your muscles. I need to do more of this though!
- Dirty 30 – This special disc comes when you order through a Team Beachbody Coach (like myself). It’s a total body weight training routine that you’ll definitely feel the next day.
- 10 Minute Ab Fix – This is a short abs-only routine that you can add in on doubles days for some extra burn!
Beachbody really hit it home with the dead simplicity of the nutrition plan for the 21 Day Fix. It’s very simple – you follow the guide to determine how many calories you should eat each day, then you check the chart for your calorie level to know how many servings of each container to eat every day. With the program, you get a green, purple, red, yellow, blue and two orange containers. In addition, you get a certain number of teaspoon servings each day too. Then, with each container, you simply look at the list of items for that color container and fill ‘er up!
This makes it super-duper-easy to plan your entire day’s meals the day of, the day before or even an entire week before! Planning your meals, your workouts and your days is the best, time-tested way of staying on track with your goals. If you have a plan, you know what to eat and when, and it prevents you from binge snacking or becoming hungry.
The nutrition guide also comes with a number of different recipes so you can make delicious healthy meals that fit into the portion plan. It really is super simple to follow!
It Was Worth It
Overall, this was an awesome program to run through for a couple of weeks and Autumn’s style of training makes it fun to do every day. There wasn’t a day that went by that I dreaded working out (well, except for Lower Fix, because I hate doing lower body, haha).
Interested in joining my upcoming 21 Day Fix Challenge so you can get these same results!? Leave a note in the comments or hit me up on Facebook!
Take a peak at the video below for a quick overview!